Friday, December 5, 2008

But I Want To! (Insert Whine Here)

As many of you already know, Fat Cyclist is forming Team Fatty to participate in the 2009 LiveStrong Challenge. I was on board immediately for the following reasons:
  1. I hate cancer. I watched my grandma, who was one of my favorite people ever, die before my very eyes of cancer when I was a junior in college. I've watched other people struggle with it since then, and it basically sucks.
  2. To participate, all I have to do is ride my bike and raise money. I should be able to do both without much trouble.
  3. One of the locations for the challenge is Philadelphia, a location I can get to with only one day of driving. I also happen to have a wonderful little cousin with a house and a guest bedroom in the suburbs of Philadelphia. I am certain she would let me stay there, so I could make it a pretty cheap trip.
  4. I love Fat Cyclist (in a purely platonic way that happens when you haven't actually met someone and only read their blog, of course) and would like to do something that would help him.

So, what's the problem? The problem is the date. The Philadelphia challenge is scheduled for our last day at Crusty Butt, which is nowhere near Philadelphia.

As I see it, I have four options.

  1. Give up hope and do nothing.
  2. Join the team as a virtual participant only, which wouldn't be as good.
  3. Start making a bunch of money so I can afford to go to Seattle, Austin or San Jose.
  4. Try to change the dates of my Crusty Butt trip so I can do both.

Hmm. I really hate it when this happens.

No comments: