Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Shift

It's that time of year again when my t.v. is on vs. (not to be confused with hockey season, when it is also on vs. quite a bit), when mixed in with the other sounds of summer are the voices of Phil, Paul and Bobke. Yes, despite the ridiculous shenanigans of the ASO, I am still watching the TdF. Of course, watching the Tour makes me thinking about road cycling, which I have not been doing.





In particular, I'm thinking about my Bianchi Imola, which sits upstairs in the trainer, where it sat all winter as I pedalled away on it. Last year at this time, I was riding on the road three or four times a week, getting in shape for DALMAC and completing my first century. I was also having the habitual argument with Chris—road or trail. (This always ended in me grudgingly riding the trail or him grudgingly riding the road.) My mountain bike barely saw its way out of the garage until KissCross season.





I knew this year was going to be somewhat different. After a fabulously fun and unsuccessful cross season, I was all fired up for my first mountain bike racing season. What I didn't expect was the fact that I would have virtually no desire whatsoever to take my road bike out. The other day I even opted to do a trail ride when Chris was training on the road.





No matter what, my road bike will see some hours this winter. Even though I'm pleased that I've gotten so excited about mountain biking, I do hope I will get that road bike out before the season is over. It deserves to see some pavement.

No comments: