Monday, February 18, 2008

Wet

Yesterday the weather topped out in the mid-40s and the forecast was calling for rain. It was too slushy and messy to ski, snowshoe or ride, but I wanted to get out of the house and avoid the trainer. The puppies were restless and were more than excited to get outside. We went to a local park that's a favorite of mine for hiking and I noticed this at the trailhead.

I know some people don't like dogs. I used to be one of them until I was converted. And no one really likes dog poop, do they? But this just seemed ridiculous to me. It was a trail. A trail in the woods. Now I consider myself to be a pretty responsible pet owner. My dogs are always on leashes, they don't go to the bathroom in other people's yards and if they're outside and start barking, I bring them in immediately so they don't bother anyone else. And if I'm walking them around town and they poop somewhere, I take care of it.


But this is the woods, and as long as they're not going right in the middle of the trail, I don't bother to pick it up. I mean, is someone out there picking up the feces from the deer, raccoons, squirrels and the like? If a dog can't poop in the woods, what is the world coming to?

Okay, I'm done ranting about that for now.

Anyway, it was pretty rough going. There was a lot of slogging involved. The girls had a blast, though, and we ended up being out for a little over an hour. Unfortunately, we were far enough from the car when it started raining that the last 20 minutes were spent in a deluge. They were pretty glad to get to the parking lot.


Poor Maddy. She really soaked it up.

No comments: