Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sun Therapy

The last couple of weeks have been brutal. Work has been hectic and between training, work and taking care of wedding details, I feel like I haven't stopped for a break. And I know that this coming week is going to be more of the same—only worse. I also know I'm going to be cooped up in a hotel for several days at the end of next week.
Needless to say, I wasn't about to miss this week's team ride, especially when the forecast called for mild temperatures and no precipitation. And what was that other thing? Oh yeah, can it possibly be the sun?

An extremely abbreviated version of the team met this morning in Hell, Michigan to ride some gravel and paved roads. Some of the gravel roads were a bit sketchy, what with the ice cover, but I didn't even crash.


All I've got to say after today is give me more. I'm ready to get off my trainer and get outside in the fresh air. It was only about 30 degrees today, and a little colder on the downhills, but with that sun shining down throughout the ride I was feeling energized.


There were actually some decent climbs on the route and it felt good to ride up them. I have always liked climbing hills better than going down them. I know that is kind of warped, but I love the feeling of accomplishment I have when I make it to the top of the hill, particularly a steep one.

I felt really strong today. Maybe all that training is starting to pay off. We rode at a leisurely pace for about two hours before we stopped for lunch and I couldn't believe we had already been out for that amount of time. After lunch, we wrapped up the ride with another hour of riding back to the car. What a great ride! I can't wait to get back out there.

No comments: