Monday, September 1, 2008

Peace and Quiet

My idea of peace and quiet is about three hours from my house. It's up North on the calmer side of the state, basically in the middle of nowhere. It's about half way between Fairview (the wild turkey capital of Michigan) and Comins.
It has 280 square feet, no plumbing, running water or electricity and sits on 5.6 heavily wooded acres. And it's mine. I don't have to share it with anyone (except Chris) if I don't want to. For a multitude of reasons that I won't go into, we decided not to race at Drummond Island. Instead, we headed to our cabin.
I've been under a lot of stress lately at work, and I've been putting in long hours. My plan was to work a little later on Friday (though we get out at noon) so I could leave all my work and my worries at home. We would head up on Saturday morning. What actually happened was a little different. By noon on Friday I could barely keep my eyes open, so I decided to go home, eat lunch and take a nap before returning to work. I didn't end up doing anything productive for the rest of the day. I guess I needed the rest.
But I needed my weekend and I took it without guilt. As a result, I feel 500 times better than I did on Friday and I even got a brilliant idea which I think will do wonders for my sanity if it's implemented. (I'll talk about that in a future post after it gets a little more fleshed out.)
Sunday morning I took the best bike ride I've had in a while. It was pretty short—just under an hour and about 9 miles—but it made me feel great. It was a beautiful morning, and I put my MP3 player on and just rode. I saw one car the entire time. (Above is our driveway)
The road our cabin is on is paved for a section, but about a mile down the road, it reverts to gravel. There were a few washboard-like sections, but for the most part it was in good shape. There are a few houses back there, a couple small lakes and a little country golf course, but not much else.
I spent the rest of the weekend traipsing around our woods, hanging out with the pups and reading. We have a couple of suet feeders on our porch and we get quite a few black-capped chickadees, nuthatches and downy woodpeckers. Yesterday, as I was reclining on our porch reading, I heard a flapping noise that sounded much louder than the normal woodpecker taking off. I looked to my left and saw a pileated woodpecker perched on a tree right next to the porch. We'd been told they were around but had never seen one on our property. (I've only seen one once before at Hartwick Pines State Park.) I was able to call Chris out in time for him to come and see it and his response was "it's huge!" (For those of you who aren't familiar with them, pileated woodpeckers are immortalized in the cartoon "Woody Woodpecker" and they do look huge, especially compared to the downies we usually see.)
All in all, it was a great relaxing weekend, with the exception of the drive home, which was frustrating. I'll leave you with a few more photos of Weaver Road.

No comments: