Sunday, March 9, 2008

Back to the Land of the Living

I was a complete zombie for the entire week. Besides going to work and taking care of a few wedding-related items, I pretty much didn't do anything. I didn't ride. I didn't do the Bowflex. I didn't blog. I don't know why the whole convention thing hit me so hard this year, but I had absolutely no energy and no motivation. Needless to say, I knew I had to break the cycle this weekend or there was going to be big trouble ahead.
Scott and I headed down to Hell again today. Then we went for a 20-minute ride on gravel roads. You see, I had completely forgotten that the last time I rode my mountain bike, it was shifting horribly and the chain was jumping all around, even when I wasn't shifting. It didn't take long to realize that we were not going to be able to correct the problem without going back to the car. Scott took a few minutes, some chain lube and some tools I have no idea what to call and managed to salvage my ride.

It was about 28 degrees and the sun was intermittent at first, although most of the clouds had cleared by the second half of the ride. It felt great to be out in the fresh air again after being cooped up inside for the better part of two weeks.


We rode a mixture of gravel and paved roads around the little lakes in the area. We went by this cute little cabin that I had to take a picture of. We ended up getting about two hours in. It felt wonderful to be out there, but the prevailing thoughts in my head centered around the upcoming race season. The reality is that my first mountain bike race ever is in exactly six weeks and I don't know if I'll be ready. It's still so much like winter out there, I don't know when I'll be able to get out on the trail. I'm really hoping it's soon.

My last thought is this—I know the DNR is really hurting for money because the budget and the economy in Michigan are so bad. But really, I would be willing to trade some proofreading work for a free state park sticker, because clearly they need someone to help out. I mean, what the hell is a "hikng trail"?

No comments: