Sunday, November 23, 2008

Billy

This is Billy. He belongs to our friend Frank. He's eight years old (I think) and he likes to ride his bike. Billy's been racing Kisscross since I started and he's a fierce competitor. His bike only has one speed, but he just stands and powers up the hills like they're flat.

If Billy keeps riding, he's going to be phenomenal. He's already blowing away any kids his age and some older. He got bored with the kids' races because they were too easy so he started riding with the adults.

Billy doesn't train, he just gets out there and rides. If his dad wants to punish him, he takes away his bike.

I was thinking about Billy today when I was racing, although he was too far ahead of me to see. I used to be able to beat Billy, but now he beats half the adults in the C race. I, on the other hand, was supposed to set up the trainer this week (really every week for the past three) so I could "train." The thing is, training seems to much like work and it's hard to get motivated to do it. Racing, on the other hand, doesn't take much motivation because it's so much fun.

Maybe I need to worry less about training and just ride. Maybe I need to be more like Billy.

No comments: