Friday, November 27, 2009

The Ultimate Small Town, Part 2


So, as I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted by life, I slowly began to realize I liked the idea of moving to a small town, but not just any small town. It's crazy how I started thinking about living in Crested Butte as soon as we arrived. I can't begin to count how many times in the space of that week I found myself walking through town, trying to think of something from home I absolutely couldn't stand to give up if it meant living there.

I guess everyone has his or her own idea of what the perfect place to live might be. I certainly never thought my idea of a perfect place would be colder than Michigan with more snow. I thought it would be along the lines of something tropical. This just goes to show how much I've changed from who I used to be.

One of my coworkers recently loaned me the November issue of Ski, which contained an article about Crested Butte. Here are a few quotes from it:

"We have to keep in our mind that we're real, and we're unpretentious. And the people who gravitate to us are that way." (I guess that means I'm unpretentious.)

"If you go to the grocery store and forget your money, someone in line is going to help you out."

"We keep our doors unlocked. When you know 90 percent of the people it's easy to say hello to everyone ... And the 10 percent who are tourists? You might as well say hi to them, too."

These are great quotes, and they completely support the experience I had in Crested Butte. But these are also things that can be said about a lot of small towns. So what makes Crested Butte the ultimate small town? Name another small town where you can find the following:
  • Two different sushi restaurants
  • A restaurant owned by Heidi Montag's mom (okay, this doesn't thrill me much, but I thought I'd throw it in)
  • Stores selling North Face and Patagonia clothes
  • Zero stoplights
  • "The" four-way stop
  • A 15 mph posted speed limit
  • Free buses (with murals painted on them, quirky bus drivers and ski and bike racks) running every 20 minutes
  • Bartenders who hug you when you leave
  • People who cook for you after the kitchen is closed for the night
  • Bikes, bikes everywhere
  • People talking about bikes everywhere
  • A three block ride from the center of town to hit a mountain bike trail
  • A place where you can hitch a ride on a ski lift and ride your bike back down the mountain
  • Kids playing a soccer game at the foot of a mountain
  • So many dog people
  • The bluest sky ever

I could go on, but I think I've made my point. (And only 35 days until we go back. Woo hoo!)

No comments: