Monday, May 11, 2009

Second Chances

I haven't done much lately besides eat, drink, go on vacation, work and lounge around on the couch. I certainly haven't been updating my blog (no surprise there) and I haven't done much in the way of riding. Since I skipped the Ft. Custer race to go on vacation and I really want to make some strides in endurance racing this year, I was committed to racing 6 Hours of Addison Oaks this past weekend. However, in the end I decided to skip it, since this was how my week went:
  • Sunday - Wednesday, vacation in Key West
  • Wednesday, arrive in Detroit at 11 p.m., home at 1 a.m. Thursday
  • Arrive at work by 7:30 a.m. on Thursday
  • Pick up puppies from puppy hotel on lunch break
  • Work an evening event until 7:30 p.m., then go home and crash
  • Work 8 - 3:30 on Friday
  • Go home, let puppies out, get changed, drive to Jackson for my cousin's wedding at 6 p.m.
  • Leave Jackson at 10 p.m. to pick Chris up at the airport
  • Arrive home at 1:30 a.m.

Needless to say, there were plenty of reasons for me to not want to drive back to the east side of the state to get there for a 6-hour race which began at 10 a.m. But I felt guilty, because as I mentioned before, if I let myself keep backsliding sooner or later I lose complete control, don't care anymore and convince myself that not training and shoveling food in my mouth constantly aren't that big of a deal.

Luckily, the Addison Oaks race was postponed. So one more time in my life I've been given a second chance. Now, I still haven't ridden much since Yankee so I won't be in optimal condition, but if I get my legs moving on the trail a bit this week and get some rest, I should be able to hold my own and not completely humiliate myself at the race on Saturday. It will also, hopefully, start a good precedent for the weeks to come and help me get back on track.

No comments: