Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Key West is In, the Fort is Out

After spending several weeks whining about how I couldn't go to Key West this year because I have a new job and didn't want to ask for the time off, I finally broke down yesterday and begged my boss to let me go. I just couldn't stand it anymore. Chris had decided several weeks ago he was going, with or without me. He and my in-laws had been talking about the trip and I was pining away for Key West. Then I got an e-mail from our friend Ben Taddiken, who has decided he's going to stay in Key West for a while instead of sailing away for parts unknown. That was the last straw. Luckily, my boss is very understanding and agreed.

Unfortunately, my life is so jam-packed right now, I can only take an abbreviated trip, but a little Key West is much better than none. It also means I'll be flying out the day of the Fort Custer Stampede. This makes me a bit sad, but to be honest, it's not really my favorite race. Even though I'm focusing on endurance racing this year, I wanted to do a few CPS races as well. I picked Fort Custer mostly because it's one of those staple races that everyone does, unlike Hanson Hills, which I chose because I really like it.

I don't feel too guilty. I still have quite a few races on my schedule and given this week's irritating weather, I could really use that dose of the Conch Republic, even if it's still a month away. The biggest challenge now is figuring out how I'm going to pay for a trip when I haven't saved any money for it ahead of time.

No comments: